How can you get rid of used hearing aids? Whether they belonged to a departed family member or you decided to update your hearing aids to something fancier such as a cochlear implant, the answer is the same: donate your used hearing aids instead of getting rid of.
There are lots of people suffering from loss of hearing who would benefit from donated hearing aid, and a few institutions out there that collect and circulate those hearing aids to the people in need. Read on to discover why it’s important to donate your used hearing aid and learn how you can go about it.
Why You Should Consider Donating Your Pre-Owned Hearing Aids
- Of the total population, around 14% have some kind of hearing loss
- 91% of adults suffering from loss of hearing are above the age of 50
- There is evidence of loss of hearing in 15% of school aged children
- Hearing aids would help nearly 29 million adults with loss of hearing, but…
- …only 16% (4.6 million) of them actually make use of hearing aids
- The general age for first-time hearing aid users is 70, but again…
- Of those over 70 who require hearing aids, fewer than 30% percent have ever used them
This is extremely troubling. Because health problems like cognitive decline, increased risk of falling, and depression have been linked to untreated hearing loss. The relevance of your hearing to your general health is supported by new research being released all of the time. Getting hearing aids can prevent these health problems (and in some cases even reverse them).
And the final convincing fact is that loss of hearing can cost the ordinary family $12,000 in income each year. But hearing aids can actually mitigate that cost by up to 50%.
For a family that loses out on $12,000 each year, it might just not be possible for them to afford a hearing aid.
Your used hearing aid can make an enormous effect, in the health, quality of life and financial stability, for a person in need who could not normally afford a hearing aid. It may also cost a child the ability to get into college and better their lives because they can’t hear in school.
Donating Your Used Hearing Aids
There are many volunteer groups and manufacturers who help recycle old hearing aids. Come and see us so we can advise you on the correct recycling option for you. Or you can simply give us a call.